Hawkesbury Family History Header Image
 
Pubs and Inns of Hawkesbury
Beaufort
CAMRA's (campaign for Real Ale) Dursley & District sub-branch "Pub of the Year" 2002 & 2003.
Beaufort, Hawkesbury Upton
Beaufort (was The Duke of Beaufort) GL9 1AU

The Duke of Beaufort had an annual rateable value of £14.10s.0d. in 1891 which had increased to £16.0s.0d. in 1903. In that year 'last orders' were called at 10 p.m. Now known as the Beaufort it is still trading and is a vibrant village pub. The present landlord, Mark Steeds, is enthusiastic about the heritage of the old breweries of Gloucestershire and beyond and has some interesting items of breweriana displayed in the pub.

  • 1851 census - William Winbow's wife Mary was innkeeper1871 - William Winbow ran the Beaufort
  • 1881 census - Martin Shipp
  • 1885 Martin Shipp
  • 1891 Martin Shipp. Alehouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • 1902 Frederick Millard
  • 1903 Frederick Millard. Alehouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • 1906 Samuel. Burnell
  • 1919, 1927 Joseph V. Powell (Beaufort Arms)
  • 1939 Frank Arnold Tazwell
  • 1994 - present day - Mark and Fiona Steeds

Fox Inn

Fox Inn, High Street, Hawkesbury Upton
Fox Inn, High Street GL9 1AU

The Fox Inn had an annual rateable of £14.10s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. (10 p.m. closing). The petty sessional records give the owner and brewer as Cook. I am assuming that this is Messrs Cook of the Tetbury Brewery. The front elevation of the pub has changed little in 400 years but the interior has been constantly altered over the years. Map reference ST 779869.

  • 1851 Elizabeth Pullin innkeeper - wife of John an auctioneer
  • 1856 Samuel Watts (son of Hugh)
  • 1885 Elizabeth Richings (Mrs)
  • 1891 Elizabeth Richings. Alehouse. Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
  • 1902 Samuel Richings
  • 1903 Samuel Richings. Alehouse. Messrs. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
  • 1906,1919 Samuel Richings
  • 1927 Edwin Martin 1939 John Hiscock
  • 2000 Jenny and Steve McPherson

Barley Mow, Britton Bottom, Hawkesbury

Barley Mow Pub - Hawkesbury Upton
Barley Mow, France Lane, Britton Bottom GL9 1AN

The Barley Mow had an annual rateable value of £15.10s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. Last orders were called at 10 p.m. The building is now in private ownership. Map reference ST 786864.

The Barley Mow stayed in use until around 1960. The Pincott family were living there at one time. Around 1964 John Hutton bought it and completely renovated it, adding the left third of the frontage. The rear area, a field to the left, was included I think.

  • 1881 Walter R Long
  • 1891 William Blamire. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd (owner William John Bishop)
  • 1901 census Samuel Burnell was inn keeper at Barley Mow
  • 1903 George Clack. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd. (owner William John Bishop)

New Inn

New Inn, Hawkesbury Upton
New Inn

The New Inn is recorded as being licensed in 1844 but it may have been trading as early as 1836. It had become a private residence by 1853.

The building was owned by the Shipps. Around 1940 a Shipp still lived there, an agent for an insurance company. Later Edward Bleaken bought the property from Stroud Brewery and ran a coach company from there for many years.

Bleaken Family - Hawkesbury Upton

Ted and Irene Bleaken, daughter Joan (Selwood) with her son Paul, with the coaches and house in the background (circa 1970). In 2003 the garage has been removed and building of new houses to the rear is in progress.

White Horse, Back St, Hawkesbury Upton
White Horse, Back Street, Hawkesbury Upton

The annual rateable value in 1891 included some land. The rates for 1891 were £22.10s.0d. In 1903 the rates had decreased to £13.10s.0d. 'Last orders' were called at 10 p.m. No other details.

  • 1871 census Joseph Watts ran the White Horse
  • 1881 census George Hayward and Elizabeth Hayward Landlady ran the White Horse
  • 1891 William Gunning. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • 1901 census Elizabeth Summers
  • 1903 Frank Stinchcombe. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • 1906 Fredrick Stinchcombe

Blue Boy Inn, High Street

The Blue Boy Inn and Malt House, High Street, Hawkesbury Upton

On the left picture the outside lamp frame can still be seen, the picture on the right still has the sign iron work attached.

Below the second window of the malt house a timber projects from the masonry with a large iron ring. I suspect this was the top anchor of a hoist to remove sacks of grain from carts. On the far right corner of picture is a large sandstone block on its side which is hollowed on the top. When it is stood upright it was used by the men to mount their horse for the journey home. Over the years the hob nails in their boots wore the stone away.

The Blue Boy was a Nailsworth Brewery tied house. It had an annual rateable value of £18.0s.0d. (10 p.m. closing). The pub was a stone's throw away from the Beaufort Arms.

The metal pub sign pole remains in situ. Mark Steeds, landlord of the Beaufort Arms, told me that when it rains it is just possible to see the words 'Nailsworth Brewery' on the wet walls. The Blue Boy Inn is now called Malt House Cottage.

  • 1871 Charles Dix
  • 1881 census Charles Dix 
  • 1891 Thomas Lilly. Beerhouse. Nailsworth Brewery
  • 1903 Thomas Lilly. Beerhouse. Nailsworth Brewery
Crown Inn, Petty France, Hawkesbury Upton
Crown Inn, Petty France, Hawkesbury Upton

The Crown Inn is first mention is July 1692 when it was owned by William Hurne. It was then described as an ancient Inn. The majority of the present building dates to about 1650. It served as a Coaching Stage from Bath to Cirencester and Stroud, and is mentioned in many accounts, most notably Jane Austen in her book Northanger Abbey.

The stables are opposite, now converted to houses. The photo above was taken in 2001 when some major works were being done and the outer rendering was replaced giving a view of the alterations that were previously done. The central section with the three dormer windows appears to be the early part, with the two wings added not much later. It has always been rendered as the stone appears yellow (it will quickly age to grey if not covered).

The Crown is again mentioned in 1740 when Thomas Hurne was the owner but around 1805 it seems to have been bought by the Duke of Beaufort. We know from the poster above it was renamed the Beaufort Arms Inn, after its owner. Not long after it was closed, probably as a result of the the Dunkirk Inn a quarter of a mile further along the road. By 1851 it is split into five houses. It was again sold in the 1970's and returned to a resturant and Hotel called the Bodkin House after Bodkin wood behind it. The rooms have Jane Austen themes.

 

Dunkirk Inn, Dunkirk, Hawkesbury Upton

Dunkirk Inn, Dunkirk, Hawkesbury Upton
Dunkirk Inn, Dunkirk, Hawkesbury Upton

Located just to the East of Hawkesbury Turn Pike, and just before the fork in the road to Stroud and Cirencester, this Coaching Inn was idealy located on the main coaching route from Bath to the East and Midlands.

Little is known of its history. It appears on maps as Dunkirk Inn and we know it closed as an Inn shortly after 1851.

It was the first recorded Hawkesbury post office using the Post Coaches.

  • 1820 Thomas Cornock?
  • 1841 Mary Watts Inn Keeper and Post Lady
  • 1851 William Bishop - HD M 50 Innkeeper GLS Old Sodbury

The Fleece Inn, Chapel Lane, Hillesley GL12 7RD

The Fleece Inn, Chapel Lane, Hillesley
The Fleece Inn, Chapel Lane, Hillesley

The 17th century Fleece Inn was once tied to Witchell's Tetbury Brewery. Thomas Witchell did not own many pubs and the Fleece Inn was a rare outlet.

The annual rateable value of the Fleece Inn was £10.0s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. (10 p.m. closing time).

Witchell's were subsequently acquired by another Tetbury Brewery, Warns. An old photograph shows the gabled end of the pub with the painted lettering: 'The Fleece Inn. Warn & Sons. Celebrated Ales, Wines & Spirits'. An ornamental iron bracket carrying the pub sign above the front door of the pub in the old photograph is still there today. A West Country Ales ceramic plaque also remains in situ. Map reference ST 769897.

  • 1851 census Louis Roach Inn Keeper
  • 1856 Louis Roach
  • 1881 Ephraim Tavender Inn Keeper
  • 1885 William Gunning
  • 1891 Frederick Jotcham. Alehouse. Thomas Witchell, Tetbury
  • 1902 Mary Ann Jotcham
  • 1903 Mary Ann Jotcham. Alehouse. Thomas Witchell, Tetbury
  • 1906,1939 Mary Ann Jotcham (Mrs)
  • 1997 Celia Rollo
  • 1998 Richard and Clare Poole

Portcullis, Hillesley

Portcullis, Hillesley, Gloucesteshire

Pictures from early 1900's shows the Portcullis with a thatched roof. Its roof was replaced with tile and its now a private house.

The Portcullis Inn, owned by the Duke of Beaufort, had an annual rateable value of £12.15s.0d. in 1891 and 1903. (10 p.m. closing time). The Portcullis was a few yards to the north of the Fleece Inn.

  • 1881 census Edward Samuel Hopkins Inn Keeper
  • 1885 Edward Samuel Hopkins
  • 1891 Edward Samuel Hopkins. Alehouse. Free from brewery tie (owner Duke of Beaufort)
  • 1902 John Lewis Hopkins
  • 1903 John Lewis Hopkins. Alehouse. Free from brewery tie (owner Duke of Beaufort)
  • 1919 John Lewis Hopkins
  • 1927 Frederick Williams
  • 1939 Joseph Davis
  • Joe and Grace Vale
Maypole Inn, The Plain, Hawkesbury Upton
Maypole Inn, The Plain, Hawkesbury Upton
Maypole Inn, The Plain, Hawkesbury Upton

The Maypole was robably named after the Maypole that would likely have been on the village green in front of it. Thought to have been in existence in 1630 it would have been in the ideal position, in the center of Upton, over looking the area where the village fair was held, and also the market and well now replaced by a pump in the picture.

 

Fox and Hounds, Inglestone Common, Hawkesbury (AKA the Tally Ho)

Fox and Hounds, Inglestone Common, Hawkesbury (AKA the Tally Ho) Fox and Hounds )Cottage), Inglestone Common, Hawkesbury
Fox and Hounds, Inglestone Common, Hawkesbury (AKA the Tally Ho)

The cottage in the picture on the left was once the Fox and Hounds pub. It closed around 1969 and since much modified. The picture on the right is of a curious building in the grounds just to the left of the cottage and is thought to be the brewhouse for the beer.

The Fox and Hounds had an annual rateable value of £9.10s.0d. in 1891. I have it recorded as being £19.10s.0d. in 1903. 'Last orders' were called at 10 p.m. In 1891 the petty sessional divisional records list it without having a name.

The Fox and Hounds was located on the north side of the minor road that runs between Wickwar and Hawkesbury Upton at map reference ST 748886. The building is now a private house called Tally Ho with nothing to indicate that it was ever a public house.

  • 1856 S. Watts
  • 1861 census Edward Crew Inn Keeper
  • 1871 census Edward Crew Inn Keeper
  • 1881 census Joseph Gurney
  • 1891 Jesse Shearman. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • 1903 Jesse Shearman. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery
  • ? The Hurcombe family
  • 1939 Reginald Wilfred Crewe

Plough at Tresham

With the Plough's close proximity and connection to Talbot farm I think it's probable it was the Talbot Inn much earlier, mentioned below from documents 1613-1732 :- "farm late occupied by Bartholomew Wicks; The Talbot Inn garden and pasture ground; 2 closes of meadow; 1 close pasture, an orchard, and several messuages"

The Plough Inn had an annual rateable value of £112.10s.0d. in 1891. In 1903, twelve years later, it had decreased by over a hundred pounds to £9.10s.0d.! This apparent discrepancy can be explained by the fact that the 1891 rates include an undisclosed amont of land. Francis Holborow was joint owner in 1891. (10 p.m. closing time). The building is now called Plough House. No other details at present.

  • 1851 George Fox
  • 1881 census Robert Watts
  • 1891 Ann Sparrow. Beerhouse. Free from brewery tie (owner H.G. Bush and F. Holborow)
  • 1901 census William Drissell
  • 1903 William Drissell. Beerhouse. Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd. (owners H.G. Bush)
  • 1939 John Shellard
  • Jube Pontin and his wife
  • March 1963 Jim and Cathy McKenzie ran the Plough Inn as tenants of West Country Ales [subsequently acquired by Whitbread] until April 1967 when Whitbread decided to close it as not viable.

Hawkesbry Family History
© 2021 - 2022 Robert Millard